At the furthest point of the Maritime Mile, is the Alexandra Dock. As Harland & Wolff began to design larger ships, they needed larger docks to house them. The Alexandra Dock was built between 1885-89, just over 800 feet long and 80 feet wide, and was the largest dry dock in the world at the time. It was also designed to be separated into 3 sections, using caissons to have a combination of dry and flooded dock space. The caissons for the dock were built by another local shipbuilder, Workman Clark, and given the yard numbers 53 and 54. The Dock was named for the Princess of Wales, Princess Alexandra, who cut the first sod. The Alexandra Dock is now permanently flooded and home to HMS Caroline.