The Belfast Harbour Office has been the headquarters for the Harbour Commissioners for more than 150 years. Built in sections, the first section was designed by the Harbour’s engineer George Smith and opened in 1854. An additional section was designed by celebrated Belfast architect William Lynn, reflecting an Italian palazzo and completed in 1895. The flax flower is seen throughout the building, emphasising the importance of the linen industry to Belfast and Belfast Port. The Harbour Offices has some beautifully ornate rooms, such as the Barnett Room, with its curved ceilings and stained-glass windows, and artwork reflecting the maritime history of the Harbour.